Friday, December 31, 2010

Sandhill Cranes Doing a Two-Step


Sandhill Cranes Doing a Two-Step
on 13" x 18" archival heavy weight (90lb) fine art paper. $39 unmatted w/free shipping in US and Canada.
Click below to purchase



18" x 22" foam-core backed matted print ready for framing $49.99 + $5 shipping and handling.
Click below to purchase




As my wife and I entered Falling Water Trail in Jackson county for our bike ride, we heard the strange croaking call of Sandhill Cranes. I mentioned to her I’d never been close enough to Sandhills to photograph or study them. As if they heard me, we came upon this pair about a mile down the trail. Fortunately I had my telephoto lens and was able to get good photos.

Later looking closely at their red head markings I thought the photos I’d seen before of cranes were slightly different. Further research taught me there is at least six know subspecies of Sandhill cranes. You can read more about it HERE. The strange and beautiful birds standing here in the field gave a sense of primordial presence. The beauty and details demanded a larger format than my usual 5” x 7” size. Here is the result of our encounter. It’s one of my favorite images.

© Copyright by Paul Wolber
All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment